Guilt

I'm horrible at lying. Especially if it's to cover for myself. Everyone always knows. And it's not the actually lying part that's hard - it's sticking to it. I always forget that I just lied and spill the beans.

I was remembering this time I lied to my film teacher - I told her I was late to class because Luci got sick. Then at the end of class she stopped me to ask if she was ok - of course I didn't remember what she was asking about and said, "yeah, she's fine...I mean she just puked all over place." So eloquent, right? I figured, I'll make this sound disgusting she won't ask further.

But of course, I felt guilty. I didn't know if she was a fellow dog lover who was sincerely concerned for my beautiful coonhound.

Guilt. I have Spanish, Catholic parents. Guilt was a part of everyday life. My mom used to say those white spots on your fingernails were a result of lying. And then proceed to ask, "is there something you need to tell me?"

Comments

  1. NO WAY! my parents and grandparents (italians) used to always comment on the white spots of my finger nails, followed up with a "what do you need to get off your chest?" i thought that was uniquely angileri, but apparently this spans all of latin america. interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHH! I just found this comment - I'm glad to hear your parents did the same to you! Is there a way I can set up comments to get sent to my email?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts