New Year's Resolutions

When I was little we used to always do resolutions. They never really meant anything to me and I usually just re-wrote what I wrote the previous year. Obviously though, my resolutions then consisted of "don't fight with my sister" "don't snoop" and so forth.

I've had such a positive sense about this year and so I felt it was imperative that we write resolutions and also partake in my family's New Year's traditions.

In Venezuela, those who want to complete all their resolutions must hold them in their hand, those who want money must have a bill of high value when they toast, those who want to travel must carry some luggage, those who want to find love are supposed to wear red underwear and yellow underwear is worn to bring happiness in the New Year. Another tradition is to eat 12 grapes the last twelve seconds of the year - the grapes represent the 12 months of the new year. Each time the clock chimes you eat a grape - the sweet ones are supposed to represent good luck and if you get a sour one it means that month may be hard. If you finish all your grapes it is good luck.

We all had our hands filled and mouths full!

And of course bellies full of collards, cornbread, hoppin johns, pan de jamon and cauliflower.

Here are my 2010 Resolutions:

Volunteer - So far, the only organization to get back to me has been Slow Food Atlanta. They're having a new member pot luck this Sunday! It will serve as a meet and greet and opportunity to get more information on what we can do to help. Bobby and I both want to have land someday even though we wouldn't know where to start. I like to believe it is all instinctual since we both come from families with farming. We're hoping to volunteer at the farms.

Learn to sew a dress/outfit - aka something more than alterations and making dog toys.

Complete a photo project of Luci - she's my muse

Take a dance class - I'm already signed up for flamenco!

Start making our own cheese and yogurt

Start canning and pickling

Cancel cable - after Big Love

Spend more time with our parents

Visit the Seven Natural Wonders of Georgia - aka take more day trips. First up, Stone Mountain

Read more books - finish the one I've been reading since June. Oops.

And of course, be healthier and more active.

This year I will do all of my resolutions. Or else, I will just rewrite them again next year.

Comments

Popular Posts