Woodfire

I'm sad that Valentine's day has already come and gone. Only because that means I have to wait a whole other year before eating at Woodfire Grill.

Like last Valentine's, we saved our pennies to treat ourselves to a delicous dinner of local, organic, sustainable cuisine. Thanks to the helpful inspiration of close friends, my sister and a good book - for the past past few years, we've radically changed our diet. I like to think I've always been pretty cognizant of my diet. There was a time I tried to be vegan but that only lasted about six months and then I caved in when I started working at a pizza place. (I was surrounded by too much mozzarella and feta.)  But now that we're older and have stable jobs - I guess we're what you call - adults - we realize we can't eat the way we used to in college. We do our best to keep our house canned/frozen food free and rarely eat processed meat - we have to have our Hebrew National for the 4th of July. And the only sugary drinks in our house are a carton of OJ and a bottle of white wine. It's a good thing neither of us has a sweet tooth. So yes, all this to say that we love cooking with fresh foods and if we can help it - local goods.

This is why each year we look forward so much to our Valentine's dinner. This being the second year we dined at Woodfire Grill, it is officially a tradition. We've already made our reservations for next year! The whole evening was simply divine. When we were waiting to be seated we were standing behind this older, giggly couple. They were whispering about something - so I of course - got right next to them pretending to look for the restroom, which was obviously right in front of me. The only bit I got was the man say something about walking by with a video camera and then he burst out laughing.

"Hmm...," I thought, "Older couple + video camera...maybe someone is getting engaged tonight? Maybe, their son is going to propose tonight and he wanted Mom & Dad to be there? Oh, how sweet! I can't wait to see!"

I have to admit I spent the first portion of our meal eyeing every couple and asking Bobby which one he thought was about to pop the question.
"Does that guy look nervous to you?" "I think he's sweating?"

Meanwhile, Bobby was rightfully enjoying each and every moment of his fois gras mousse...here's the menu:
Woodfire Grill 2-14-11
When all of a sudden we heard someone clinking their glass. And to my left an older gentleman stood up - excused himself for interrupting everyone's dinner and said, "I'm sorry but I just wanted to tell you all how in love I am with my wife of 30 years." (gets down on one knee) "Honey, will you marry me again?"

[insert image of crying baby]

Then from my right, came the other couple that was giggling and whispering away in the lobby - his wife was recording and he was playing the guitar. You know what song he was playing? The song we had our first dance to.

[insert image of crying baby]



And for a moment I went back here...


And back to when we first started dating and Bobby made me a mix CD with this being one of the tracks he put on it. We both started laughing. He said he knew when he put that song on the CD 6 years ago and suggested it for our first dance that someone was going to play it on the guitar that night. Sly devil.

I hope you all had a lovely, delicious Valentine's.
="" alt="craft night - paper heart garland" height="240" src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/5435447974_8555f64ce8_m.jpg" width="240">

Comments

Popular Posts