pot of joy

Meals you can cook in one pot (or pan) are amazing. They're beautiful and efficient.  And there's less cleanup. During the week – it gets tough trying to cook dinner every night. But those one pot meals - oh, they've saved my soul! I'll have days where I don't feel like cooking. Those days where you put on your exercise clothes and convince yourself that that's enough...These meals are perfect for those days and require little attention to detail - any misstep you take just adds more flavor.

Last week, I made one of my new favorites: pelau. I’ve tried this recipe twice now and have decided it needs to be a regular. Both times I used butternut squash and tomatoes (instead of ketchup). The second time, I added mushrooms and a green bell pepper which added a nice texture.  The recipe originates from Trinidad and Tobago and has lots of bright flavors and some spice. This is essentially a more colorful version of pilaf.

*Something to note, (I was not aware of this) in case you also decide this is your new favorite recipe, you should be careful what pot/pan you use to caramelize the chicken as this process can destroy your pot/pan – any caramelizing really. la di dah* 

This week, I made risotto butternut squash, leeks and basil. In place of the leeks, I used red cabbage and green onions. Not exactly the same thing - but that’s what we had on hand. The dish was still a success – turned out to be an unexpected comfort dish. Some of the reviews said the recipe was not flavorful enough so I added garlic and green chilies. Oh, and instead of parmesan I used pecorino.

Looking forward to spring/summer and eating more vegetable full meals again. I think we’re about spent on soups and grains. We still have French lentil soup in the freezer from my last batch. 

Here are some of my favorite summer recipes to anticipate:
Salad with beets and goat cheese (or anything with goat cheese)

vinaigrette

homemade cider djion salad dressing

Comments

Popular Posts