Berlin

I worry that if I don't document our trips, I'll somehow forget. The memories will become blurred and eventually I'll ask myself - did I go to Germany or was that a dream? I'll forget the sensation of walking down the cobblestone roads and the cool air blowing on my face. I've never experienced Europe in the summer so to me it only exists in fall. It is forever fall there.

So, from Prague we set off to Berlin.
Our apartment was located in East Berlin - in a building that had been renovated and a splash of color had been added. (On left)

The view

Our room

Berlin is very flat making it very bike friendly. Unfortunately, I don't know how to ride a bike (I know.) so I was not able to enjoy this aspect. But the city was very friendly on my feet. With all the re-building going on, we saw lots of colorful pipes weaving around the city. Turns out they were the water pipes. Based off the idea that it would be easier to keep the pipes above ground then dig (I believe) they've been colorfully painted so they aren't such an eyesore. I liked them. In some places they do look out of place but they add a pop.
Pink

Blue

Our first day we visited the Jewish Museum Berlin which is incredibly beautiful and full of interesting exhibitions. Unfortunately, since we were only in Berlin for 2 days we had to rush through the second half. My favorite exhibits were the Garden of Exile and Holocaust Tower (pictured below).


After a quick gyro, we headed over to see a remaining piece of the wall.

This part of the city was more crowded

My dream car

Hot air balloon

The wall - interesting bit: the graffiti is not authentic

Cool buildings (I think this was actually a mall)


Holocaust Memorial

Bauhaus

The television tower which was built by the GDR to be taller than all the cathedrals as a secular symbol reflects a cross when the sun shines on it.

On our last day, we stumbled across an interesting part of town that was concentrated with local artists, cafes, record shops and boutiques. Strolling aimlessly down the street - I looked up and saw this -

There wasn't anything else that said Venezuela or something in Spanish. If it was in Germany that might be why I didn't notice.

Comments

Popular Posts