foods

New recipes I’ve tried in the past week or so. 


I was testing out recipes from everdaypaleo.com and honestly they were a little boring. A lot of the recipes on the site reminded me of the dinners I throw together when I don’t know what to cook – some vegetable + some protein + some mixture of complimenting seasonings. Not very inspiring. I stumbled upon nomnompaleo.com which so far has had tastier recipes. I’ve been using a lot of them as reference to provide the base then usually do my own modifications with spices/vegetables. Still haven't found a source I'm crazy about - maybe I'll make my own.

Paleo Banana Muffins (I added a teaspoon of cocoa which added a nice touch.I really like how these turned out.)


Paleo Meatloaf (The loaf turned out a bit on the salty side but otherwise was pretty hearty.Not too crazy about it.)

Cauliflower Fried “Rice” (I was so happy with how this turned out - the leftovers got a little watery but otherwise very tasty.)
Paired with Oven Roasted Chicken and Arugula
Cauliflower fried "rice" with roasted chicken and arugula

Easy Tandoori Chicken (delicious.)

Egg Muffins (I added some cayenne and cilantro which added a nice touch - otherwise I think it may have been kinda boring.)
about to stuff my mouth with some #glutenfree egg muffins.
I’ve found that there is a TON of information out there that points you in all directions about the benefits of gluten free and paleo – even which regional caveman diets to follow. (See: The Inuit and the Kivtavans) This is any interesting take – I haven’t been able to find any profiles for the folks of South America but I’m sure corn will be in there. (Or I could just ask my parents.) But I like the idea that in a sense you should be eating the food that is local and available to you. Like how beneficial raw, local honey is for providing allergy relief.

So yes, there is dairy. Both of our families have dairy farms in them. In some weird way, I feel like it would be sacrilegious to cut dairy out. Plus, if I don’t have any problems digesting it then I see no need to cut it out.


Spend $ on food now or disease later | Ways to make the $ stretch for healthy food by Kate Galliet

Here are some interesting articles I’ve found:
Highlight: "Acknowledge that it’s going to take more of your time to cook a meal than to microwave a frozen dinner. Accept that fact. Americans spend the least amount of time cooking meals each week, and we’re the fattest. Correlation? Yep." 

Highlight: "But how much sugar – natural or otherwise – have you been eating? Have you been kidding yourself you don’t eat much? I had. So I sat down with pen and paper and added up the exact number of teaspoons of the stuff I was eating. It was shocking. "
Highlight: "Just as there is tremendous variation amongst populations with diet, there is also tremendous individual variation. Some people clearly do better with no dairy products. Yet others seem to thrive on them. Some feel better with a low-carb approach, while others feel better eating more carbohydrate. Some seem to require a higher protein intake (up to 20-25% of calories), but others do well when they eat a smaller amount (10-15%)."

Highlight: Skim, low-fat, non-fat dairy = more sugar.

Comments

Popular Posts