Tips to losing the muffin top

The other day as I was stepping out to take Windy for a run, a man in a pickup stopped to ask if my parents were home. 


Mortified, I yelled, "What kinda question is that?!" 


He repeated his question and I asked him old he thought I was -his response: 


FOURTEEN.* 


Now, is that a compliment or was he looking for someone to kidnap? He claimed his motive was to sell my household some meat from our truck. Welcome to Atlanta. 


I have to pause and think when people ask me how old I am. It’s not a common question these days. And I forget. I'm not prepared really. Sometimes I blurt out the first number that pops into my head – and it’s usually never the right number. So when I correct myself, people look at me like I’m crazy and wonder why I am lying about my age. I’m just not used to answering that question. I answer whatever age I feel that day.

10 Tips for staying gluten free:

1. Avoid drinking alcohol
What?! I know. It’s a hard one. I’ve never been a raging party animal. When I decided to go gluten free, we bought various types of gluten free beer. Sadly, none of them made the cut. It just wasn’t the same. I found that Maker’s Mark is gluten free but I’m not a big fan of bourbon. I’m also not a big wino. So, I just stopped drinking. I did this right before the holidays - which I know to some is blasphemous but I wanted to do it for myself. And I did it – and it wasn’t even that big of a deal. Recently, I’ve started drinking wine but I limit it to one glass and only on special occasions. If you’re like me, when you have a drink you also want a snack. And usually that snack is something salty and carb loaded. No drinking = no late night carb binges. Also, no cravings for those morning after hangover brunches.

2. Keep lots of gluten free snacks on hand
Back in November my doctor told me I needed to start eating more frequently. This might make sense to some – but I didn’t know how much damage you could do to your body going 4-6 to even 8 hours without eating. Regularly. Some days at work are super busy and I was constantly finding myself in that position. As a result, my metabolism was shocked and I was having insulin problems. Not good! I eat a lot now and have still managed to lose 10 pounds since Christmas. I make sure to eat at least every 3 hours and always keep a handful of these items on hand: almonds, almond butter, carrots, DF/GF granola, hard boiled eggs or egg muffins, and a box of GF bars in my car. (Sidenote: don’t buy baby carrots. It's a lie.)

3. Drink lots of water
And in the mornings, put some fresh squeezed lemon in your water. I'm notorious for my water intake. Staying hydrated helps keep your system regular, promotes health skin and hair, improves sleep and it doesn't stain your teeth. Adding lemon juice to your water in the morning gives your liver and metabolism a boost. Plus, it gives you a nice refreshing burst in the morning. 

4. Keep some emergency “gotta have its” on hand
I have a frozen loaf of gluten free bread in our freezer. I am famous for going to the grocery store when I’m hungry and returning with an abundance of items that I know I should not have purchased - usually some type of cheese. This loaf is one of them. Before I make some toast, I make sure to check our pantry and fridge just to make absolutely certain there isn’t anything else I’d rather eat. If there isn’t and I really want it, then I’ll make myself a piece of toast (usually with almond butter) and savor it.

5. Coconut Oil
     It's funny when you find a vegan recipe that calls for margarine - doesn't that seem contradicting? I recently learned about the benefits of cooking with coconut oil and how it can actually help increase healthy cholesterols. I'm impressed. I love the flavor that it adds to sauteed vegetables and how I can also use it when baking. Plus, according to a recent study it helps boost sexual activity. And you can use it as a hair mask!

6. Exercise
Regularly! If you have a partner or friend, hold each other accountable. The goal here is improve our lives so we can all be together longer and happier. I just started my second round Bikini Boot Camp with Tough Love Yoga and am on the verge of becoming a super obsessed yogi. I am so amazed at how much my body has transformed in just the last 8 weeks – I feel so much stronger and have way more energy. I’m doing poses I never thought I’d be able to do. Like this - 

I did that! 


Also, buy new workout clothes. Everyone’s booty looks awesome in a pair of new yoga pants which makes you feel awesome.

7. Try new recipes - and modify
And don’t feel like you need to stick to recipes that are marked “gluten free” or “paleo” only. It is super easy to modify recipes. Recently, I made Joy the Baker’s Arroz con Pollo but instead of rice I made it with millet. And it was amazing!
millet con pollo - delicioso. #glutenfree
So good I forgot to take before picture. 

8. Join a CSA
    There's nothing better then eating fresh local produce at the peak of it's season when the nutritional value is at the optimal level. Plus, you get to support a local business and hopefully take part in the actually process. Being a part of a CSA forces you to try new flavors and get creative. Bonus: you save money on groceries.

9. Recognize your accomplishments and treat yourself!
    There's nothing wrong with pointing out your accomplishments. This is something I am still learning (thanks to yoga). Rather than, being hard on yourself - take the time to find at least one good thing in each act or one thing that you espescially enjoyed. This all goes back to my attempt at trying to be more positive and bright - AND not letting the negative energy around me bring me down. We're better than that. 
Ladies lunch!

10. Get plenty of rest
Changing your lifestyle is difficult. All these tips are not about crash dieting or some quick 5 minute ab workout. It's about changing my lifestyle. Going gluten free can bring to light how co-dependent you are on carbs. It made me feel like I was addicted and initially I fought crazy cravings that made me moody. Making sure you get plenty of quality rest helps ensure you will be in a better mood and be patient (and rational). Understanding that cravings are natural is a big step – learning to not immediately feed those cravings is another story. But you can do it. I’ve even had dreams of eating croque-monsieurs and cookie dough and pizza. No joke. And if you give into those cravings - it's not the end of the world. Enjoy it and move on.

These are 10 things that I’ve found have worked for me and kept me motivated. 

Any tips that help you?


*I understand that when I'm older I will appreciate being considered young. But 14 is a bit of a stretch.

Comments

  1. awesome! i'm so proud of you! i'm still GF, although i've discovered numerous ways to cheat and add more fat to my diet to make up for the gluten and carbs. even still, i feel so much better and see results. i'm back at the Y again (yay!) and you've inspired me to take a yoga class. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts