My First Class

I taught my first class!

It was awesome! Coincidentally, our homework for the week was to write out a 60 minute sequence. I thought perfect - I’ll write mine out then practice it during the week and teach it Friday - thinking surely it will take longer.


You remember those days of when you had to give ten minute presentations and you'd write out this long essay and practice it all week long to make sure it was ten minutes long? Then, the day comes you present to the class and you end up saying the whole thing in one breath and have to improvise the rest?


That's kinda how it went. But in a good way.


I wrote out this nice flow working towards pigeon - originally, I wanted to do flying pigeon (which isn't even in my practice, yet) but then I realized maybe I was a being a bit overzealous and should just step it down a notch. I had to tell myself to calm down and not get too excited - just focus on making it through! This was just my first class.


Five people arrived - four of which were my fellow classmates. We started class and quickly flowed through my lovely sequence I'd written out. As we neared the end, I realized we had thirty minutes left of class. Shit. Oops. I immediately realized I’d let my nerves pace me. I was going too fast. I needed to improvise the rest. Ok...I thought...lets go into child's pose. From there, it was a nice change. As we were in each pose I kept thinking what other pose does this remind me of that we can get into that will keep the energy moving down in a way that makes sense? 


What resulted out of that was a really nice cool down. We did some poses I haven't done in a long time and took a good five minute savasana. And we still finished a few minutes early.


Obviously, the feedback I got was on my pacing - the best way I heard it was "don't be afraid of the silence."
Realizing my mistakes, I wanted to immediately teach another class to try again and improve. I feel so eager. But I'll be patient. Take my time to practice more and learn more.


My next classes are April 13 at 9 am and April 26 at 6 pm


Moments before my first class #latergram #theyogas

Comments

Popular Posts