An Ode to My Caveman

I wanted to take a moment to write down some of my favorite things about Benicio.


Each stage and growth spurt is so much fun to watch. We've entered the age of mimicry and independence. He wants to imitate our behaviors and repeat what we're saying but he doesn't want us to help him push the stroller even though he can't reach the handle.


He's the sweetest, little tender hearted fellow who will come up and hug by back while we're outside and I'm pulling weeds - then he goes back to playing in the dirt. Recently, he'll come running into my arms and give me a big hug. Step back. Look at face - focus on my mouth - grab handfuls of my hair and pull me in for a kiss. It's sweet but also a wet, open mouth teethy kiss. Toddlers. He loves to kiss. 


And then there's also the other side. The caveman. When he's thirsty, he screams, "AQUA!". When he sees a ball, he screams, "BALL!". When he doesn't get what he wants, he screams. When he doesn't know what he wants, he screams. When he doesn't want to eat the food you offer him, he throws it - or looks for Windy. Yesterday, he insisted on eating his cereal with a knife (kid version). He actually did a pretty good job. 


Its a very enthusiastic, passionate part of his little life and the kid has strong, healthy lungs. 


He's also very eager to please. The other day after his nap, he came into the kitchen screaming for his water and I remembered seeing his bottle on his bed. I told him it was in his room and to go get it. He stood there a minute, processing it - or maybe he was thinking that I would eventually go get it - but I repeated it was in his room AND HE WENT AND GOT IT. I was impressed. Same thing with his shoes. He likes to take them and throw them across the room. I told him to put them in his room. I expected him to just walk to his room and throw them in but he put them away. I may have teared up. He's also the little comedian. When he realizes he's making you laugh - he gets so goofy. 


His favorite activity by far is to be outside. He doesn't care how hot it is or if the ground is wet or if there are bugs everywhere. He is happiest outside. There have been days where he wakes up in a funk and we immediately go outside. He happily gets covered in dirt then we come inside for breakfast. He also loves to go to his Little Gym class. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend these classes if they offer them in your area. The first class is free and they are totally worth it. The first few classes, Benicio was so shy. Now he's dancing to the music, participating, doing the motions to the songs, putting the toys away (that's a big one) - but the big one is his confidence has really grown. He will climb and jump on all the equipment and even if he falls, he gets back up. I see the benefits of the classes to when we go to the playground. He interacts with other kids and tries to climb on everything - which is great (I spot him) because I don't want him to be afraid. 


Another great thing about this stage is that he's started to sleep better. Perfect timing too since I'm pregnant and want all the sleep I can get. I was nervous before about the idea of having two kids that didn't sleep through the night but now I feel better and am even toying with the idea of them sharing a room eventually. 


My sweet, little passionate caveman, Benicio. I love you and all your kisses and all the hugs you have to offer. Even if you just threw your spoon at me. 

Comments

Popular Posts