ATL --> DIA

I typed this out on my phone on our flight from Atlanta to Denver when I finally got Benicio to go to sleep.

Big hugs and lots of love to every mom that has ever had to travel solo with their kid(s).

It's always funny how I tend to romanticize things. 

We knew we were going to be eventually moving out of Georgia but we didn't know when. I'd thought about all the places I wanted to visit one last time. All the family and friends I wanted to hug one last time. But the truth is time is usually not on your side. It goes by faster than you expect. Leaving you to feel like you're in a constant scurry. Hoping that you are able to hug and squeeze everyone you love. I know it's not the last time I'll see everyone. But it's going to be a while. I know we have the internet to stay involved in each other's lives. But it does not compare to hearing each other's laugh, sharing meals, hugs, practicing yoga together. 

I don't leave Atlanta angry or spiteful. I leave thankful. Awed by the love and memories I've made. It's been awesome and I can't wait for us to see each other again. I hope we can jump right back into it without skipping a beat. 

I'm writing this as Benicio and I fly to Denver. Our last day in Atlanta was a funny frenzy. I made it to one more class with my teacher and then ran to target to buy a suitcase (yep!). I got home and kept telling myself to stay calm and enjoy the last few moments. Before I knew it I was running out the house yelling at my mom and Bobby that it was time to go. We walked outside and started loading up the car and I realized - oh yeah, bye house. Goodbye first beautiful home. Our first home. I loved that house and was so proud of it. I remember our first party we made so many hamburgers and hotdogs the house smelled like meat for a week. The time Bobby and I had an argument over who knows what and then helped me cut out paper hearts so I could make a heart garland for valentines day. How windy would tree opossums up the fig tree outside our bathroom and then they would sit there staring in. The night I went into labor and paced quietly all around the house and then gave birth to Benicio in OUR BEDROOM.

I'll miss the neighborhood. And being able to walk to so many places. 

It's good to stop and reflect on memories. To honor all those experiences - the good and the bad. They got me to where I am now. On a plane to somewhere I've never been. To continue on our journey. To spread the love that's filled me from Atlanta. To share and connect with new people. 

Flying with a toddler. 

What a handful! Poor Benicio didn't understand why he couldn't touch everything. Why everyone didn't want to share their food with him. He had plenty of hugs for a couple passengers - especially the woman we sat next to. So far I've lucked out sitting next to moms or people that are understanding. 

I do my best to keep him happy but he's a toddler! They don't want to sit quietly! So of course we had little melt downs. I got a few stares and looks which I ignored. Some people lack empathy. I'm trying my best people but he's a man of his own. It's those people who order drinks to 'make it better' because hearing a baby cry is the most awful thing in the world and totally unbearable. Sarcasm. They end up drunk. And being so loud they then wake my sleeping babe and glare at me. 

Flying with a toddler isn't easy but whatever - I try to forget about everyone else. We were all cranky babies once. 

It's funny to think that Benicio won't remember this. For how big and monumental this is to Bobby and I - to him it will be a great story. He'll always be our Southern Baby.



Comments

Popular Posts