Staying active in Colorado

Something that I've noticed and heard others talking about is the importance of staying active here. It took us about a month to get used to jogging/biking at a higher elevation.

The first run was awful. I started out with a mile and it felt like I had never jogged before in my life. Even walking while talking I could feel it. Once I was able to jog a mile straight I added another mile and then another. I jogged three miles regularly while we were in Colorado Springs mainly because that was how long the nearest trail was to us. When we moved to our house we found a new trail that is amazing! It goes by a creek that connects to Platte River and leads all the way to downtown Denver. One day. Right before I found out I was pregnant, I actually downloaded one of those apps to help you train for a half marathon. I was on week 2. My motto with this pregnancy is to make and give space. To realize that I have my whole life to run a half marathon but right now I'm going to enjoy this pregnancy and savor my days with Benicio. 

I've noticed if I go a few days without going for a walk or something, I start to feel the elevation again. I hear a lot of people go to higher elevations to work their lungs more so they stay healthy and stronger. It's an interesting idea. I'm hitting that point already where my jogs are more often than not just becoming walks. In the last two weeks, I've only jogged twice. In place of the jogs, I try to make my walks worthwhile and walk between 3-5 miles every morning. 

I love my morning walks with Benicio and Windy. He's loves his stroller and gets to enjoy the views, shouting under the bridges to hear an echo and then normally falling asleep for a mini nap. The great thing about Denver is we are surrounded by miles of beautiful trails and a lot of trails are stroller friendly. So if I get tired of our regular trail there are plenty to pick from. I still wear Benicio when we hike but if I want to go a longer distance he goes in the stroller. I have an Instep Jogger which I've been pretty happy with and he seems to love. I'm excited about eventually getting a double jogger. 



This kid knows how to nap

Comments

Popular Posts