Babywearing

I love to wear my babies. It always makes me laugh when people say something about my hands being full when I wear them because they're not! That's the beauty of it - they're happy, I'm happy and my hands are free. Babywearing is a life saver. 

When I found out I was expecting Benicio I didn't even register or look into buying a stroller. Being petite, it seemed more logical to wear than to have to lug some giant contraption around (car seat/stroller). I remember carrying my niece's carseat and hating how it banged into my leg - there was no comfortable way to carry it. And plus, they're nursing so much those first few months it's makes life easier to just kept them right next to the boob. 

So, I discovered babywearing. I did lots of reading on different carriers and learned about the benefits of a carrier that provides a wide, supported seat. I started with the k'tan and moby. 

K'tan
I loved the ease of the k'tan - very first time user friendly. But the sizing can be tricky - mine is an extra small so Bobby could only use it when it was stretched out. I think they're great for when baby is new. They're affordable and washable. And light enough for summer.



Moby/wraps
I was intimidated by the amount of fabric of the moby. Wrapping has the biggest learning curve but is the most versatile. There are some gorgeous wraps out there and soooo many different ways to use them. With Luna, I bought my first woven wrap (keppeke). It feels surprisingly lightweight, most comfortable - doesn't feel like I'm wearing a carrier - but again that learning curve. I definitely need to keep practicing and try different finishes but we both like it. Makes me wish I had wrapped Benicio. Today, I got a good rucksack back carry with a sweetheart finish. The seat was a little off but she was in there good and fell right asleep for over two hours!


Ring sling
When summer rolled around (with Benicio), I looked for a carrier that was lightweight. I got a Sakura bloom ring sling. I used it a lot with Benicio. For me, it was a great light weight carrier for errands. Once he could stand, he would pop the seat. I used it a few times while I was pregnant when we were at home and he wanted me to hold him during a nap or he was feeling under the weather. I haven't reached for it as much with Luna maybe because it isn't as hot here in Colorado. I like to wear it for special occasions when I don't want to wear a bulky carrier. I plan on bringing the ring sling and wrap for the upcoming weddings we're going to in the fall.



Soft structured carriers (SSCs)
Right before we found out about our move to Colorado, I got a beco Gemini. I needed something so I could wear Beni on my back and pack. He always loved to be worn but this was a whole new level of fun for him. And it was a lifesaver! He would take his naps in there while we went on hikes, while I cleaned, through the airport! I wore him through my pregnancy with Luna. And no, it didn't hurt my back. When I started wearing Luna in the beco he got very upset saying it was his carrier. 



Enter our toddler Tula! He pretty quickly outgrew the beco. I got him a toddler Tula which really is amazing - Bobby wears him when we go on hikes. Benicio usually falls asleep pretty quickly too. I like it because it's not bulky. It's comfy and Benicio loves it. He knows that's his carrier. 


The buckles on my beco started coming loose and I haven't sent them in to be replaced. Mainly because I have to pay! The whole thing with them coming loose made me really uncomfortable anyways - I was advised to stop using it immediately. A friend let me borrow her ergo in the meantime and I fell in love with it. It was so soft and broken in. I had gotten a standard Tula for Luna as well but didn't like the fit. The ergo felt much more comfortable. Luckily, another friend was selling her ergo which I got. I lot to wear for quick in/out running errands and when we go on hikes.



I joined a group on Facebook called babywearing on a budget. All the carriers are sold under $100. Occasionally you'll see carrier that normally retail for close to $200 being sold there. The world of babywearing is a funny one. It's crazy how expensive they can be and the multitude of choices but if you think about it - they can be a prized tool for mothers that help them survive the day. If baby feels under ther weather, if the toddler is having a meltdown, if you're in a crowded place - keeping them close to you eases them and you. 

One thing I really love about babywearing that I've figured out this time around is nursing while babywearing. Having a toddler who is very active means baby takes her naps on the go. This way we're all getting lots of fresh air. And since she's pretty much always on me and knows how to latch on in the carriers, I've got a nice solid supply. Plus, it keeps her very content. 


Babywearing also:

Increases cardiac output, improves circulation, promotes respiration and aids in digestion. 
Provides the exact level and kind of stimulation an infant requires, energising their nervous system and creating a quiet, calm alertness in the infant. Decreases the levels of stress hormones circulating in a baby’s blood stream, resulting in a more relaxed, happy baby Develops the muscles needed for the infant to sit, stand and walk. 
Enhances motor skills by stimulating the baby’s vestibular system (balance organs) by exposing the baby to a variety of sights, sounds and motion. 
Offers easy access to the infant’s food source – mothers’ breast milk, without having to stop or sit down. 



Comments

Popular Posts