My 3 First World Fears



These aren’t crippling fears. Just ridiculous fears that make me laugh at myself.


Heights
Do you ever dreams where you’re standing on a porch enjoying the view chatting with friends – leaning on the railing, when all of a sudden the railing disappears and you remember you’re on the 50th floor? A fear of leaning on a railing because you sense that you’ll be that one person who leans on the perfect spot and the whole thing collapse? Or when grilling on your back deck it will begin to crumble? I do – I also have this weird fear that the laws of gravity are going to randomly and suddenly fail and I’m going to float away. Or that I will be so overcome with fear that my knees will give and fall backwards into a deep pit.
paris 066
adventures in paris 

Food poisoning
My mom has a reputation of not letting anything go to waste which is something that I really appreciate nowadays. (Not related but a quote that reminded me of my parents: “In his children he was trying to instill a sense of the value of work, the value of whatever came into their house, but he knew that much would be lost in the context, the waste and excess of the culture at large. He had been brought up to know that what God hates as much as anything is waste.” Zeitoun) But I digress. She also has a love for making smoothies. I remember one Saturday morning when I was little, she was gathering some fruits and vegetables – some of which had started to look a little sad. She did what most people do and just cut the bad parts off and used the rest. (I remember my sister and I opted to stand on the sidelines for that smoothie for whatever reason.) But no. That did not help. What resulted was the worst food poisoning I've witnessed. So now, as an adult – I have this fear where I don’t even want to see food that is starting to mold. Ask me to smell something to see if it’s good and I’ll gag and run the other way. If there’s anything that looks slightly suspect in my fridge - out it goes. I’m very thankful for composting.
hungry face
CSA bounty 

Hoarding
Simple. I fear of becoming a hoarder. Feeling crowded makes me anxious and angry and sends me into a blind fit where everything must go into a Goodwill pile. This is hilarious because growing up; my idea of cleaning my room was to shove everything under my bed – out of sight.
Adventures with Cat 2
sister adventures with cat. 


Comments

Popular Posts