One Year of 45

Tomorrow marks one year of 45.

One year of a slap in the face wake up call. To stop staring at your phone. To stop thinking about brunch. To stop excusing your racist aunt. Time to stop saying with love we can come together and to start calling out people's bullshit and really take action. Being blunt and honest.

I'm sharing this post from last year as I dust off my blog. I am super happy to say after today's midterm election there has been progress. Lots

In the last 3 years, we have moved from Atlanta to Denver to Durham and back to Atlanta. 

We've gained a lot in each of those cities but we realized that Atlanta is truly our home. Atlanta is the place that gives that homey feeling in our hearts. We are community thrives and were we feel motivated.
Growing up in East Cobb, I was called a dirty Mexican, a hairy Mexican, a wet back, a spic, an illegal. Asked constantly if I spoke Mexican. To the point I refused to speak Spanish. From elementary to middle school, those words turned into a slutty Mexican, a Mexican whore. Or just slut. And whore. All the way until high school. 
And now I'm wondering - did they just learn to be quiet about it and do it behind my back? Are those voices going to be loud and proud now? Will they be corrected? What does this mean for our country and our future? What does this mean for my children? My culture and heritage are already pushed out enough. Will they be allowed to celebrate any of it openly? What does this mean for my daughter? 
How is it that our next president is a rapist, fascist bully with no experience. NO EXPERIENCE
And you tell me he's a good businessman - as if that qualifies you to be president. His victory validates and supports those voices. Misogyny, racism, xenophobia - calling little girls whores just because they're different. LITTLE GIRLS. 
You've chosen fear and ignorance, America. 
Say goodbye to access to safe and legal abortion, LGBTQ rights, women’s rights, health care, social security, Medicaid and any progress that could be made on climate change or clean energy. 
Or any progress, really. 
You can go ahead and unfriend me now if you're tired of my "rants" because I'm just getting started. 
My heart is broken. 
Don't say we need to wait out the next 4 years, now is the time to be louder than ever. 

Be louder than those horrible voices full of hate. Be full of love and be loud. 

BE LOUD AND PROUD.

Comments

Popular Posts