Teaching Kids Mindfulness

Benicio started Kindergarten last week and there were a lot of emotions. 

The night before his first day he had a hard time falling asleep. 

Tossing and turning. Rambling. 

Eventually, he yelled out “I’m not excited about school - I’m nervous! What if I have to get up and introduce myself?!” 

So I said, then you stand up and say "I’M BENICIO POWER!" [[insert hero stance]]

We then went through a list of all the things he loves - science, prehistoric creatures, robots, electricity and rainbows. AND we talked about how it is normal and ok to feel nervous and scared. That these feelings come up with there are big changes in life. That it is good to acknowledge and talk about those feelings - and feel them. 

Next we did some breathing. I usually start with a loud ujjayi - you completely fill your lungs, while slightly contracting your throat, and breathe through your nose. I've used this technique since they were babies - helps calm the mind and warm the body. 

Then we did some meditation. And y’all. Being able to share that "tool" with him and feel him calm and relax in my arms and fall asleep is simply everything.

Here are two of my favorite yoga/meditation books for kids and our favorite kids yoga channel - because I'm not that entertaining!






Comments

Popular Posts