sofrito for the soul


My brother-in-law was in town last week visiting – it’s great how often we get to see him even though he doesn’t live in the country. We went out one night to a smoky bar and I woke up the next day with my sinuses in a complete funk. This temperamental weather has not been helping either. I want it to be cold and stay cold. I know I shouldn’t but I keep checking the weather hoping to see some flurries in the forecast. I feel like the South is going to be cheated of a winter this year. I enjoy the summer and going to the beach but I love wearing layers more. Warming up is more enjoyable than trying to cool down.

I spent the weekend congested and convinced my husband that a trip to Peter Chang’s would help me. Not that I really needed to convince him in the first place. If you live in the Atlanta area and have not made it there before, you need to go there now. I don't know why it took me so long.



Order anything with the words “hot and numbing” or “fragrant” and you’ll be set. This trip we ordered a hot and numbing beef app, cold mustard chicken app and the hot and numbing combination which comes in a hot pot. The meal left my tongue feeling like it was tripping on acid. This wonderful experience was all thanks to the little Sichuan peppers sprinkled in the dishes. They accentuate flavors and make any flavor incredibly vibrant. Even the water tastes better.



I was feeling inspired yesterday and decided to try to wing a sofrito stew. I found a couple recipes online and modified them to the below.

Sofrito Chicken Stew

Sofrito
1 tbsp  coconut oil
1 onion, diced
5 scallions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeño or 2
3 tomatoes, diced
1 diced red bell pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp annatto seed powder
Pinches of cayenne, chili powder and paprika if you’re feeling adventurous

I added a couple dashes of this seasoning from Texas' Tears of Joy



Stew
8 pieces chicken legs and/or thighs on the bone, skin removed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 beer
1 cup water
Salt to taste
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (or to taste)

Directions:

Heat oil in a deep saute pan. Add onions, scallions and garlic, sauté 2 minutes, add jalapeno, tomatoes and pepper. Season with salt, cumin, annatto and spices. Saute until the tomatoes start to break down then pour into a bowl and set aside.



Season chicken with spices and garlic powder; add to center of the pan allowing chicken to brown slightly on both sides. Combine chicken with sofrito, and add beer. The only beer I had on hand was an IPA. I don’t mind the “beer” taste but if you do, go for lighter beer like a lager. Add water and adjust salt, if needed. Cover pan and simmer on low until chicken is cooked through, about 20-30 minutes. Last, stir in cilantro. Ta-dah! Enjoy with some roasted sweet potatoes, brown rice or on it’s own. I forgot to take a picture of the final product because I was too busy putting it in my mouth.

Comments

Popular Posts