Baked Lemon Millet

I mentioned on twitter last night that I modified Joy theBaker’s Baked Lemon Risotto with millet – and let me just repeat myself and say it turned out delicious!

Here is what I did:

For the first five ingredients, I followed her steps exactly – except I replaced the olive oil with coconut oil.

1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

From here, I took ½ cup of millet rinsed and toasted over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until fragrant. I followed the rest of the recipe using her steps. (Keeping the ratios at one part millet to two and a half parts broth) It did take about 15-20 minutes longer but the end result was pretty spectacular –and no salt was needed. The lemon in this dish makes me excited about Spring and reminds me of Easter – probably a good side dish for a family brunch!

Benefits of millet:
-          No gluten
-          Lots of protein
-          High Vitamin B
-          Good for your heart
-          May help reduce diabetes risk
-          Good source of fiber

Try also: modifying Arroz con Pollo with millet

Pali Highway
A picture from our honeymoon in Hawaii - just because.

Comments

Popular Posts