is it a sideboard or buffet?

Armed with citristrip and a bucket of white paint, this boring sideboard was transformed into a refreshing, bright, happy buffet that now sits in our kitchen. 
Before and After a la @bobbypowers
Since we’ve been downsizing (got rid of the butcher’s block and shelf in the kitchen), we wanted a piece that was more compact for the kitchen and properly served our needs – storage and counter space. This find was purchased at an amazing antique store in Marietta called Fancy Flea Antiques. Once you venture outside the perimeter, prices at antique stores tend to drop drastically. At first we weren't drawn to this piece, but I’m glad we went against our initial reactions and saw the potential it had underneath.

As usual, Bobby handled the actual refinishing while I picked out the details. I made it extra purty. And of course, I had my heart set on extremely floral knobs from Antropologie. The ones I originally picked out were a bit too feminine (they were pink and red) but I’m happy with the ones I chose. Combined with the basic pulls, it keeps the buffet from becoming overwhelmingly girly. But just in case. To surprise those who like to snoop – I lined the drawers and cabinets.
 Working on my drawer lining skills
I found the wrapping paper on Paper Source (super fast shipping by the way) and picked out colors that matched the knobs. This was my first time lining and it more difficult than I anticipated. Bubbling was inescapable for me. I comforted myself with the thought that they would be covered up anyways and this was my first time. So if you look – don’t look too closely. Please.  This whole process probably took us about two weeks (combined) of working on it after work and some on the weekends. We don’t like to rush.

Comments

Popular Posts