saying no to diets.


Goodbye 2011


This year will be a year of doing.



we're strong. thanks @e_dodd for the recommendation!


I hate the term “dieting” because I feel it suggests temporary changes. What I am talking about is lifestyle changes. The best thing we can do for ourselves and our loved ones is feed ourselves healthy, nutritional food that we will fully benefit from. I hate that we’ve become a society dependent on frozen packaged goods and that we’re too busy to cook a meal. I’m just as guilty of complaining that there never is enough time – but I’ve started asking myself why I am in such a rush when I find myself getting into that crazy frenzy. I realize if I don't embrace the crazy - the busy chaos - I end up missing the special moments because I'm too busy thinking of how I will get to the next point. This is going to be a year for me to cherish. Relish every moment.  And stop feeling guilty.

Every year I make a long list of resolutions that I carry around with me and never think about past February. This was the first year in my life that I didn’t make resolutions. Frankly, because they would probably be the same. But also because I feel like I’m already on a good track. In November we started going gluten-free. We cut gluten out of our diets for a number of reasons but mainly to improve ourselves. This past year I’ve become a lot more active but hadn’t seen any changes in my weight. Since cutting gluten out only two months ago and exercising regularly, I’ve lost weight, my skin has cleared, I don’t feel bloated and my moods have improved. Already, I feel motivated to take it a step further and try paleo. I’ve also started bikini boot camp (highly recommend if you live in the Atlanta area). My goal isn’t about weight loss but about being healthier and stronger. I know I’ve mentioned it before but yoga has been one of the most gratifying and therapeutic experiences.

My bit of advice for anyone trying gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, paleo, etc – don’t do the substitutes. Eating substitutes only makes you crave the “real” thing and in the end you’re not doing your body any good because you’re keeping the same habits. Changing your diet is a wonderful opportunity to try new recipes and explore new flavors. Another thing I’ve learned is to not be so hard on myself if I “cheat”. I still have dairy in my diet. I’ve definitely cut back. And I do my best to ensure the dairy I’m eating is organic and when at all possible local. If I don’t have access to local, organic dairy I try to avoid it. Cheese is my guilty pleasure. These special diets don’t have to be black and white. As long as you’re aware and actively involved in the food you’re eating then you’re good to go. Food is definitely my religion and my body is my temple – I don’t want to put junk in it.


What else will I be doing in 2012? 


Continuing to learn to make as many things as possible with my own hands.

craft night: shoebox turned camera boxmonday night crafts

Comments

  1. amen. we are definitely on the same path. i'm really wanting to bring yoga into my life this year too. i tried it once (literally one packed class in a small studio), and it ended with the one dude in the room farting in my face as he went into a dog pose. i need to give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts